AAGE has a regular presence at the major anthropology conferences, including the annual meetings of the American Anthropological Association, the Gerontological Society of America, the Society for Applied Anthropology and the Association for Gerontology in Higher Education. Since so many of our members attend these meetings, we make it a point to organize business meetings, social events and special sessions like the breakfast session (above) at the 2016 SfAA. This is a great way for newer members to receive mentorship advice and to build their network.
We are also linked to the International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences (IUAES) Commission on Ageing and the Aged and the European Association of Social Anthropology Age and Generations Network. Our members have organized successful panels and social events at conferences around the world.
AAGE Biennial Conference
AAGE hosts a biennial workshop conference that brings together members and non-members interested in aging and anthropology research. There will be no conference in 2019, but there are big plans for a 2020 conference, so keep checking for updates!
- 2017 “Culture, Commitment and Care across the Life Course” 10th biennial conference held in partnership with the Anthropology of Children and Youth Interest Group at Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK. Organizer: Jason Danely
- 2015 “Health Disparities in Aging” held at Florida International University, Miami. Organizer: Iveris Martinez
- 2011 “Health Informatics in an Aging Population” Held at University of Maryland, College Park, MD Organizer: Bo Xie
- 2009 “Aging, Health, and the Indigenous People of North America” Held at University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK Organizer: Lori Jervis
- 2007 “Language, Health, and Aging” Held at Penn State University, State College, PA Organizer: Bob Schrauf
- 2006 “Aging in Africa” Held at Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA Organizer: Sharon King
- 2005 “Aging in Asia” Held at University of Texas, Austin Organizer: John Traphagan
- 2004 “Intergenerational Research” & “Aging in Place and Space” Held at Washington University at St. Louis, St. Louis, MO Organizer: Peggy Perkinson
- 2003 “Culture and Dementia—II” Held at UCSF, San Francisco, CA Organizers: Linda Mitteness & Judith Barker
- 2002 “Culture and Dementia—I” Held at Northwestern University, Chicago, IL Organizers: Micki Iris & Rebecca Berman