AAGE has a regular presence at the major anthropology conferences, including the annual meetings of the American Anthropological Association, the Gerontological Society of America, the Society for Applied Anthropology and the Association for Gerontology in Higher Education. Since so many of our members attend these meetings, we make it a point to organize business meetings, social events and special sessions like the breakfast session (above) at the 2016 SfAA. This is a great way for newer members to receive mentorship advice and to build their network.
We are also linked to the International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences (IUAES) Commission on Ageing and the Life Course and our members have organized successful panels and social events at conferences around the world. For more on past conferences, click here.
AAGE Workshop Conference
AAGE hosts a biennial workshop conference that brings together members and non-members interested in aging and anthropology research.
The 2017 AAGE Conference will take place at Oxford Brookes University, in beautiful and historic Oxford, England. Not only will this give our significant European membership a rare chance to come together, but for members from North America and elsewhere, it is a chance to see England with a truly international group of students, scholars and professionals conducting research on aging and the life course in anthropology.
The Call for Papers and additional details on keynote speakers and is available now. More information on workshop events, student bursaries, travel and accommodation will be available in early 2017.
- 2015 “Health Disparities in Aging” held at Florida International University, Miami. Organizer: Iveris Martinez
- 2011 “Health Informatics in an Aging Population” Held at University of Maryland, College Park, MD Organizer: Bo Xie
- 2009 “Aging, Health, and the Indigenous People of North America” Held at University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK Organizer: Lori Jervis
- 2007 “Language, Health, and Aging” Held at Penn State University, State College, PA Organizer: Bob Schrauf
- 2006 “Aging in Africa” Held at Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA Organizer: Sharon King
- 2005 “Aging in Asia” Held at University of Texas, Austin Organizer: John Traphagan
- 2004 “Intergenerational Research” & “Aging in Place and Space” Held at Washington University at St. Louis, St. Louis, MO Organizer: Peggy Perkinson
- 2003 “Culture and Dementia—II” Held at UCSF, San Francisco, CA Organizers: Linda Mitteness & Judith Barker
- 2002 “Culture and Dementia—I” Held at Northwestern University, Chicago, IL Organizers: Micki Iris & Rebecca Berman